Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Reflections of a grad student

Բարեւ Ձեզ, (yeah that's real)

First off, before I start on this new post, I want to talk about how awesome that hello is (in case you didn't catch on the whole, "woah, he is saying hello in different languages because he is a cross-cultural studies major!"). It's armenian, not the kind that you talk about with Dr. Vang (though he probably speaks this language), but it's sweet because there is most definatly a number in there, yeah, pretty awesome.

Anyway, I know and I'm sorry that I haven't written for a while (I suspect i'm apologizing to 2 people but it's polite). I was busy with school and busy GRADUATING and Christmas and getting readjusted and settled in at home (or "living the dream", apparently is what people are calling it these days, which makes me thing they never did it.) Lots has been on my mind, so bare with my multi-topic post.

First off, i'm applying for real person jobs, which is really weird. For like 18 years I have been on a set path, everything paved out for you and handed to you, elementary school, to middle, up to high school, then to big boy college.... now what? Nothing is laid out. Unlike school, no one is calling to have me come to their place (okay it only happened with like PBA, Asbury and a community college, but I would still take 3 places asking for me to be an employee). I am unemployed, and searching for a job that can pay decent money so I can be a real adult. With that in mind, I have applied to a job in Oregon with a environment group and Teach for America in Denver, yep, heading out west. Meanwhile, to hold me over until I make the big move, I applied to a job here at a hospital and at a nice restaurant (putting my degree to work, let me tell you). It's weird because it's so real. I get a job out there and I'm there. My own place, my own real job, in the mountains, paying bills, all that jazz. The road is not paved and i'm there with a shovel creating my own and it's new, exciting, surreal, nerve racking, and yet, really really enjoyable.

In other news, I'm back to climbing, in fact, even without a job, I managed to get a six month membership to a climbing gym, for $30 a month, which let me tell you is a steal. The bad news is my climbing is horrendous. I climbed a lot during the summer, and even more in the fall. Then life got crazy with school and experiments and I never got around to it. Then thanksgiving happened and Christmas. Now two months later I try and climb and it was if I had never climbed a day in my life, it was awkward and the routes I once conquered with ease seemed impossible to hold onto and do. I was a little baffled, so I merely blamed it on my two month sabbatical. I went home and decided that to make sure that I was right I would jump on a scale. Bad idea. I officially weighted in at the most I ever had at a flabby 185lbs. Not only had a not climbed for two months but it was as if I was wearing a 15 lb weight; no wonder I couldn't hold on to anything. I have decided to eat veggies, fruits, and whole grains and do some hard core exercise to whip myself back into shape (the veggies kick was due to a recent conviction from a documentary I watched: Food inc. (which I recommend to all, it's not against meats at all, it's just about eating real food) and a book i'm reading connected to the movie, "In defense of food" by Michael Pollan).

It kinda struck a weird cord with me, having worked so hard for months to do what I could and to have it all taken away in such a seemly short time. It was humbling to say the least. To be honest I really didn't have a choice, be humbled or quit. I know it is only slight, and I will say this again in 5 years with even more awe and revelation, but my body isn't what it used to be. Now I know i'm only 22 (and a half) and I am still very young, shoot, there are some fighters in the UFC who are in their 40's and look better than I ever have, so this isn't the final straw of my health or anything, but it's amazing just to take a step back (forced step or not) and see how I used to be able to eat so many terrible things and be fine. Life doesn't really allow for me to play lacrosse every day or football or whatever I used to do (though my unemployment says I have all the time in the world). I am excited to think that I still have plenty of youth left, and to be honest i think I will even when i'm in my 40's, but I'm sad to see the differences and realize i'm not invincible. Probably more on this to come later.

Oh yeah, I got facebook again. I barely use it, which i'm happy for. I think it's more stupid now then ever, but it's the only way Dr. Lane will talk to me cause he is so cool and hip like the kids.

My 2 cents:

watch Food Inc., education is good for you and it's just an encouraging movie. It won't make you reject meat, like me, it has been a desire for me for a while, but it is just good to know what you are putting into your body, it's great stuff, don't be afraid of it. Ignorance isn't as blissful as people say.


Vivre dans l'amour et la paix,

drew

Il n'y a qu'un bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'être aimé.

No comments: